And actually, so have I. For the last two days we've been watching it over and over again. I've been hearing good buzz about the movie. One of the bloggers on Geekmom say that's it's probably the most feminist thing to ever come out from Disney, and just from this taste I can see why.
( Some thoughts below the cut.Collapse )
- Current Mood: happy
- Current Music:Bright Lights-Matchbox 20
"MANSFIELD PARK" (1983) Review
Long before Patricia Rozema wrote and directed her 1999 adaptation of "Mansfield Park", Jane Austen’s 1814 novel, the BBC aired its own adaptation some sixteen years earlier. This one came in the form of a six-part miniseries and is regarded by many Austen fans as the definitive screen version of the novel. ( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 14:00: DKSC LiveJournal | Ghost of the Robot "Mad Brilliant Holiday" Message from James Marsters | JM-TOP http://t.co/FZwx3NhX1k #JamesMarsters
- Thu, 14:00: DKSC LiveJournal | My tweets http://t.co/3fMb8wCJGS #JamesMarsters
- Thu, 16:04: RT @MichaelJFelts: @JM_Live One of the coolest guys I have ever met! #JamesMarsters was totally down to earth!!! #Austin http://t.co/whoUtM…
- Fri, 08:20: .@PopExpos | James Marsters to Attend Cleveland Pop Expo (PCX) http://t.co/733rGL3VKj @JM_Live #PCX #Cleveland #JamesMarsters
- Fri, 08:26: RT @jimbutchernews: Q: Will James Marsters narrate the audiobook? A: Not known at the time, but he sure is the top choice. Scheduling will …
- Fri, 08:26: RT @KyleAbbot: Check out #BuffyTheVampireSlayer #TV #Musical #Script. #SarahMichelleGellar, #AlysonHannigan, #JamesMarsters on #eBay http:/…
- Fri, 09:08: snarksquad | #BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER S07 E06 – I can hear the bells (James Marsters #Spike mnts) http://t.co/ylhiePY86c @JM_Live @RealSMG
- Fri, 11:09: DKSC LiveJournal | James Marsters to Attend Cleveland Pop Expo (PCX) | @PopExpos http://t.co/733rGL3VKj #JamesMarsters
It features the cast of TNG roleplaying as DS9 characterers. I'm not very far in, but this is literally the first web comic I've enjoyed and wanted to keep reading. The comments are even pretty entertaining for some random ST talk!
Also still slogging my way through Voyager. Which is not to say I hate it but I think I just finished season 6 and I still don't really love any of the characters like I do some DS9 characters. And I still have no desire to watch all the episodes, so I'm skipping episodes that sound sort of crap. Also it feels like a lot of the characters are really bland to me? But that could be because I skip so many episodes but I can't really think of a lot of personality/character traits for Paris or Kim or even Chakotay (who just sort of amuses me now that I found out how much the actor fucking hated Voyager apparently). But at least there's the ladies to keep me interested and the Doctor is a fun actor to watch.
This entry was originally posted at http://ghanimasun.dreamwidth.org/337085.h
And this is number 90. Nine zero. If you printed these cartoons out and laid them end to end they'd stretch - well, probably out my front door and part way down the path. At least!
The forms are based on the US visa waiver form and customs form, as some of you may recognise.
Anyway, back to watching the DVD commentary on the 'Hobbit' extended edition, which I just bought today. :)
Part 90: We are sailing
Next time: Part 91: Dim the lights.
Chibis by tektek.org
Title: Spike: Mall Santa
Author: Beer Good (beer_good_foamy)
Fandom: Buffy, post-series
Warnings/Notes: ***Jokes about character death.***
Word count: ~1500
Summary: Spike: Mall Santa.
( 'I can't take you anywhere,' Buffy grumbled as Spike helped her lug a few dozen bags and parcels down to the parking garage.Collapse )
Originally posted at http://beer-good-foamy.dreamwidth.org/2
- Current Music:I Saw Mommy Kissing Yog-Sothoth
Ladies and Gentlemen, PCX is excited to announce James Marsters as one of your special guests!!!!!!
The Cleveland Pop Expo is May 16th - 18th 2014 offering Costume Contest & Celebrity Meet & Greet
Another state taking pro-equality action. Just in time for Christmas.
Love and *hugs* all round
- Thu, 06:47: Chicago's Magical Piano: http://t.co/D81fzBs92s @youtube Brilliant! LOL Merry Ho Ho Ho! Well Worth the 3:53 mins.
- Thu, 11:14: RT @Joy__Hart: AFL-CIO: Repubs R heading home 4 holidays, while abandoning jobless workers. Call 877-318-0483 & tell the House to extend un…
- Thu, 11:20: RT @calacademy: Hello, Mars —> RT @HiRISE: “Reach what you cannot.” Nikos Kazantzakis http://t.co/zOStSmOGXn http://t.co/jj7Fd0dlQD
- Thu, 11:20: RT @Salon: This awesome woman is on a mission to help moms accept their bodies http://t.co/fkRxKdjKe2 http://t.co/HoQv3ssBC9
- Thu, 11:21: RT @inhabitat: Simon Beck makes crop circles in the snow! Find out how he does it: http://t.co/A95eYsPF5r http://t.co/7pZmscmVgb
- Thu, 11:23: Joe: Military pension cuts are 'obscene' http://t.co/z4NX7GXMAk via @morning_joe
- Thu, 11:24: RT @ABC: Meet Darcy: "Hedgehographer" shares his hedgehog with the world on Instagram: http://t.co/xRfcPzVk5M http://t.co/bi2rhRwwUY
- Thu, 11:27: Made in America Christmas: Are You In? - ABC News http://t.co/LYPqCjgD80 (via @ABC)
- Thu, 11:32: How Republicans Learned to Love @politifact http://t.co/aGjYmff57b - Alex Seitz-Wald @TheAtlantic
carawj asked "top 5 favourite comic characters and why!"
1) Stephanie Brown (Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl). PERFECT PURPLE PRINCESS OF MY HEART. I love her optimism, and how it's distinctly not naivety. I love her sense of humour. I love how hard she tries, whatever's thrown at her. She knows that she may not be the best crimefighter in the world, but she believes in what she's doing, and knows that she's capable of making a difference, even if only a small one, and how can she just sit at home, knowing that?
2) Cassandra Cain (Batgirl/Black Bat). Cass just gets me in my heart every time I read about her. She's so serious about her mission, so earnest in everything she does, but she also has an awesome sense of humour.
3) Oracle. My gateway comics character. I love how she refuses to let other people dictate or circumscribe what she can be. I love her mentor and partner relationships with other women (and that she messes up sometimes, and admits it). I love that she was the most powerful person in the DCU, and that she did it all with LIBRARY SCIENCE. ;D I love her determination (THIS PANEL, YOU GUYS), and her snarky sense of humour.
4) Wonder Woman. DIANAAAA! She has so much integrity, in what she says, what she does and in who she is. She can't be false. She's full of confidence and power, but not arrogance, and she's awe-inspiring without being aloof or cold. She can make the hard, pragmatic decisions if she has to, but she'd rather be forgiving and kind. And she's so aware of the fact that she's a role model, and that she has to live the world she wants to create.
5) Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel). I already talked about her this month! Update: I still love her. ♥
And hey, I actually managed to count to the right number this time! GO ME.
This entry was originally posted at http://shinyjenni.dreamwidth.org/211700.h
- Current Mood: ill
Under normal circumstances I would expound at length, but I just got back from a Redbird show (SO AWESOME) and it is waaay past my bedtime, so: abbreviated version. If you want to know more, I think I have an unclaimed day later this month, so ask away. Or, you know, just ask me on one of the four nights a week we talk on the phone. :p
Okay, so, I am combining prompts and talking about three favorites.
Sea Fever is still the most personal of my vids -- that's pretty much my heart on the screen -- and so it's my favorite for sentimental reasons. Also, I think I did a pretty good job of making it feel like a cohesive ensemble vid even though it includes characters from all three seasons and thus in some ways from three separate ensembles. What makes them all part of the same ensemble is not their connections to each other but their connections to the theatre and specifically to Shakespeare, which was an interesting dynamic to try to capture.
Firefly is the show of my heart, and in Blind Hope I finally managed to vid the show's emphasis on chosen family, which is one of my all-time favorite narrative tropes. Unlike Sea Fever, which was about showing how people are connected through their love for one thing, Blind Hope is about nine people living basically on top of each other and making it work. I had so much fun going back through the show and trying to get every character on screen with every other character at least once.
I like People Get Ready both because it reminds me, even now, what I loved about S1 of Heroes and because I think it succeeded at doing one of the things I wanted it to do, which was to stick to canon and yet to reframe canon a little bit -- to vid, I guess, the best version of the show, the version that the show itself ultimately did not live up to.
Originally posted at Dreamwidth || Read comments on Dreamwidth
- Wed, 13:50: DKSC LiveJournal | My tweets http://t.co/c8pCgLmWgS #JamesMarsters
- Wed, 16:42: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #82 MAY 2006 Amy Acker, @SethGreen, @David_Boreanaz for sale on @eBay http://t.co/UqKnLM…
- Wed, 16:42: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #83 JUN 2006 Eliza Dushku, James Marsters, #Faith for sale on @eBay http://t.co/Tj9W3qYt…
- Wed, 16:42: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #84 JUL 2006 @JAugustRichards, Danny Strong for sale on @eBay http://t.co/QFXnHidxiM @JM…
- Wed, 16:42: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #85 AUG 2006 @AlexisDenisof, Julie Benz for sale on @eBay http://t.co/hBhDixsK0Q @RealSM…
- Wed, 16:42: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #86 SEP 2006 David Boreanaz, James Marsters 4 sale on @eBay http://t.co/sjC8yoUDjG @JM_L…
- Wed, 16:43: RT @jamieotfollow: #BUFFY/#ANGEL Official Magazine #87 OCT/NOV 2006 Nicholas Brendon, @ChristianKane for sale on @eBay http://t.co/9KiSq1Wv…
- Wed, 16:43: RT @jamieotfollow: #SMALLVILLE Official Magazine #9 MAY/JUN 2006 Michael Rosenbaum, James Marsters for sale on @eBay http://t.co/uWpghpwXhH…
- Wed, 16:43: RT @jamieotfollow: #SMALLVILLE Official Magazine #10 JUL/AUG 2006 Erica Durance, @PaulWesley for sale on @eBay http://t.co/QDjoNCVWv2 @ED_D…
- Wed, 16:43: RT @jamieotfollow: #SMALLVILLE Official Yearbook Magazine #11 SEP/OCT2006 Tom Welling, Kristin Kruek for sale on @eBay http://t.co/UmTN0GIU…
And then Gold. ( SpoilersCollapse )
And then in our discussion of this episode, my Mum cheerfully spoilered a part of the last episode for my Dad. And was most indigant that he didn't know because ( SpoilerCollapse )
And then Orbit. ( OrbitCollapse )
Warlord then. Which was very good, although somehow still had the feeling of all the "episode before the finales" in Blake's 7, which is of treading water a bit. I've no idea why this always seems to happen with Blake's 7 for me, but it does. ( SpoilersCollapse )
If all goes to plan, tomorrow is finale night. NOT SURE HOW I FEEL!
This entry was originally posted at http://still-lycoris.dreamwidth.org/103
- Current Mood: cheerful
To celebrate I am sharing this utterly delightful vid (via yourlibrarian):
Also I am extra chirpy because I just received THE BEST CARD EVER from owlsie. (Icon in honour of card & the fact that I lured him into watching Torchwood. He sent me BEES OF MURDER. And then Jack/Ianto. And other things. Seriously. BEST. CARD. EVER!)
- Current Mood: chipper
- Current Music:Christmas In The Heart by Bob Dylan
- Current Mood: productive
Setting: S7 Post-Selfless
Summary: Spike's stay at Xander's apartment proves to be more interesting than he ever thought.
Notes: This fic is a sequel to my fic "A Kick From the Inside," but you don't have to read it to understand this one.
Thanks to akasakasan for being my lovely beta.
( Chapter TwoCollapse )
Look What Just Walked Through the Door, Willow/Angel by angelskuuipo.
Pie in the Sky , NC-17 Spike/Xander by naughty_fae.
buffyversetop5 will re-open for business January 1, 2014 .
merytankh has questions about Darla and Connor .
Zap2it says Pivot will start showing BtVS.
I don't have much to say about overwintering, I'm afraid; it's really too cold to do much of that here unless we get a good heavy snow early in the season, which... sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.
But I suppose I do overwinter a few things. The garlic and shallots go into the ground after the second or third hard frost -- mid-October, ideally. Late last summer I planted a special variety of carrots for overwintering; I won't know until spring how those turn out. I left a couple of parsnips in the ground this fall as an experiment; they get sweeter after frost, but after a whole winter I don't know whether they'll be extra-sweet or simply inedible. The leeks I overwintered last year came through okay, but this year I wanted them for soup and pulled them all up before frost.
Around here, winter in the garden means root cellars and seed catalogues.
In the evenings, I work my way through the squash and potatoes: pumpkins first, then the harder blue-shelled squashes; fingerling potatoes first, then the purple viking potatoes that I like best mashed, and finally the german butterballs that are perfect for soups or for roasting but that really can be used just about any way you can think of. Short thick carrots are packed in sand in a burlap-lined crate; shallots and garlic rest on slatted shelves covered with newspaper to keep out the light.
On weekend afternoons, I pore over seed catalogues and consult my notes: which varieties did best? Which aren't worth repeating? What new varieties do I want to try (and what will have to be cut to make room)? I make wish lists, then bring up the box of seeds from the basement: the peas and beans saved from this year's crop, the melons and squash and tomatoes held over from last year. I gauge number of seeds against my memories of the harvest: too much lettuce this year, not enough spinach; plenty of corn, but it all ripened at once; cranberry beans are pretty, but good mother stallards are better in soup.
New Year's Day: ordering seeds is one of my rituals. List made and double-checked, sources noted and crossed off as the orders go in. Afterwards, I sit in the living room, in the afternoon light, planning -- or maybe dreaming is a better word. I don't have to look out the back window to know what I'd see: the soft lift of raised beds under snow, cold soil waiting for seeds and sun.
Originally posted at Dreamwidth || Read comments on Dreamwidth
Now come the days of lying at the beach and reading books not related to my thesis. JOY TO THE WORLD!
On the Treetop by gryfndor_godess - Dean/Bela, S3 AU, mpreg
Alexandra has been taunting me with this mostly-unwritten Dean/Bela mpreg 'verse for like a year, and what pieces she has written, while lovely (and Ruby-centric, to add frosting to the cake), were all post-pregnancy, and I just wanted poor woeful angsty knocked-up Dean. And now lo! This is indeed all hurty and broken, plus pregnancy discomfort, plus moments of grace between Sam and Bela and Dean.
Meanwhile for insmallpackages, ghostyouknow27 wrote me Carebears on Ice, which is the post-S8 Meg/Castiel fic where Castiel is cursed into being a polar bear and they wander around the Arctic together and don't have sex. And it is exactly as wonderful as that description suggests.
Crossposted from Dreamwidth. Comment here or there. ( DW replies)
- Tue, 13:31: DKSC LiveJournal | My tweets http://t.co/4dzW5knZhz #JamesMarsters
- Tue, 17:30: gotrmusic | Official Ghost of the Robot StageIt http://t.co/kCiCK8BMb0 @JM_Live @GhostoftheRobot #GotR
- Wed, 08:05: hollywoodreporter | #VERONICA MARS, #BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER to Air on Pivot http://t.co/hEUA5z3Fbp @JM_Live @JossWhedon @RobThomas #BtVS
- Wed, 08:07: tor | #BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Rewatch: Dawn & the Amazing Lettered Dreamboat (James Marsters #Spike mnts) http://t.co/CUqDiv5HXK @JM_Live
In other news, I treated myself in a pre-Christmas shopping spree, and got the first four Kencyrath novels by P.C. Hodgell on Kindle, as well.
And now I should go do something useful. Which does not include eating the molasses cookies I made yesterday and then put in the freezer.
Crossposted from DW, where there are comments; comment here or there.
Make an post. It can be public or friends only, whatever you’re most comfortable with. The post should contain your list of ten holiday wishes, and these wishes can be anything - from simple (a fan fiction written about your favorite pairing), to medium (a DVD you want), to really extravagant (a brand new laptop or car).
Just make sure these are wishes for things you really truly want.
Skim through your friends list and see who has posted their own wish lists. Then - and this is the most important part - if you find a wish you can grant, and it’s in your heart to do so, make sure that person’s wish comes true.
Sometimes a person’s trash is another person’s treasure. If you have a leather jacket you don’t want or a gift certificate you’re never going to use, give it to someone who wants it.
Post this wish list any time after November 1st.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday fairy - to spread the joy.
Gifts can be made anonymously or not, it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
( wishesCollapse )
Link me to your lists please! I'd love to grant some wishes if I can.
Her answer to her own question is spot-on:
So no—we may not need another Buffy book—but considering the show has been off the air for over a decade and many people are still talking about, writing about, watching, and even creating new Buffy content, one more book on Whedon’s Scooby gang doesn’t seem at all out of place—particularly one that focuses, in large part, on fan responses to the show.
This is what fascinates me so much about Buffy and her fandom; how, so long after the show has went off the air, people are still analyzing, publishing, discussing and re-watching the series, some would argue with more fervor than when it originally aired. Why is this? Rhonda V. Wilcox asked, why does Buffy matter? It's clear she does, for different reasons and to different people, but there is no denying that the series continues to carve a deep and meaningful place in our cultural landscape. Fan Phenomena: Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the latest attempt to explain why and how.
Ramstall asks, Why are so many still passionate about all things Buffy? The answer to that, is of course, a long story, and every fan has his/her own.
Read the entire review here.
So ... when did Michelle Trachtenberg become so hot?
She was always one of the most beautiful people I've ever saw. She's kinda the arian ideal of beauty with those big blue eyes and the long perfect hair and she was so *perfectly* thin.
Now she's not that thin anymore. And she's fucking hotter.
( Gratuitous picspam of sexynessCollapse )
Of course, people are noticing that she's not that thin anymore. But screw the society demands about weight! She looks sexier, far more touchable and sexier! *C* I definetely love her fashion sense and general style. I kinda want to watch Gossip Girl just to look how pretty she is. (I've never watched Gossip Girl, is it good? I read that she plays a very funny character in that show)
I'm in love.
Also, talking about sexy people, we have finally a picture of Tom Hiddleston as Coriolanus, HERE.
He's so hot I'm going to die. All covered in blood and with the sword. God, I want to see that play!
- Current Mood: mischievous
Below are images from TNT's 2013 miniseries called "MOB CITY". Inspired by John Buntin's book, "L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City", the miniseries was created by Frank Darabont and stars Jon Bernthal, Milo Ventimiglia, Neal McDonough and Alexa Davalos: ( Read more...Collapse )
- Tue, 06:54: Revolutionary War fought over illegal search and seizure by the Redcoats! #NSA over-reaction to #Bush43 NOT listening to FBI agents! #911
- Tue, 06:54: RT @PaulRieckhoff: Our petition has over 5k signatures already. Stop Washington from balancing the budget on the backs of vets: http://t.co…
- Tue, 06:56: Soldiers should have lifetime relief from health concerns as part of fighting false rich-mens wars @PaulRieckhoff
- Tue, 07:06: You Won't Believe She Didn't Use Photoshop http://t.co/R8gMx0GsuY
- Tue, 07:10: RT @CBSNews: JUST IN: NATO confirms 6 service members die in aircraft crash in southern Afghanistan; Nationalities unclear, no fighting rep…
- Tue, 07:11: 15 of the Weirdest Images in the British Library’s New Digital Trove http://t.co/ihcSbQasnb @Gizmodo
- Tue, 07:14: RT @GlobalGrind: #RISEandGRIND! Happy Birthday to a true G, Pope Francis...77 never looked so good http://t.co/hAaCSUJT9g
- Tue, 07:15: RT @CARandDRIVER: To celebrate 50 years of @Porsche's 911, we posted our original 911 test from 1965: http://t.co/fWLyzwVeIs http://t.co/x3…
- Tue, 07:16: RT @engadget: PointGrab will let you control devices and appliances by pointing at them http://t.co/qr3Gwy49c5
- Tue, 07:16: RT @TreeHugger: NASA iPad app shows before and after photos of Earth's changes http://t.co/NAQlPtVsA5
- Current Mood: calm
My first instinct was to say I'd want to go with Eight, but then I remembered that there's a distinct possibility he'd get amnesia and forget about me, so that was out. And then I thought I'd say Two, but since he can't control where the TARDIS goes, picking a destination and then getting home again could be tricky. So I think I'll choose Eleven, because I love him just as much as the other two, and he is both less prone to amnesia and reasonably good at getting the TARDIS to go where he wants when it really matters. ♥ Which companions to go with was also a difficult choice, as I love them all very much, but in the end I decided to pick those of my favourites most likely to ensure that we'd all survive the adventure. So that's Bernice Summerfield, for her experience; Anji Kapoor, possibly the most sensible person ever to travel in the TARDIS; and Martha Jones, who could patch us all up if worst came to worst. Also, I think they'd all really get on with each other (dear internet, please write that fic) and would be ridiculously fun to hang out with.
As for where I'd go... that's easy. SPAAAACE. I want to touch the alien sands and hear the cries of strange birds, and watch them wheel in another sky. YES. I want all that wonder. A space station or ship would also be acceptable, it's the space bit that's key.
This entry was originally posted at http://shinyjenni.dreamwidth.org/211274.h
- Current Mood: tired
- Current Mood: hungry
Mitzvah , Spike/Willow by velvetwhip.
Chapter One of Pieces of a Puzzle , Spike/Xander by lusciousxander.
noel_of_spike is now open. And a Which Witch Ficathon reminder.
Vulture gives a history of the Trio.
TVGuide gives us a sneak peek of MT on tonight's NCIS : Los Angeles. Dawnie is all grown up "sniffs".
Broadway.com says Danny Strong will be writing the screenplay for the Guys and Dolls remake.
Popmatters talks fan fiction.
You know, I really don't have a good answer for this question right now; I haven't been reading enough poetry lately to have a current favorite! So instead I will share a few books I picked up recently and am looking forward to reading soon (for variable values of soon, heh).
Two new-ish books by old favorites:
Louise Glück, A Village Life
Kevin Young, Dear Darkness
Two books that caught my eye by poets whose work I'm unfamiliar with:
Louise Bernice Halfe, The Crooked Good
Suheir Hammad, ZaatarDiva
Originally posted at Dreamwidth || Read comments on Dreamwidth
Below is a list of my top five favorite episodes from Season One of Netflix's series, "HOUSE OF CARDS", a remake of the 1994 BBC miniseries that was based upon Michael Dobbs' 1989 novel. Produced and developed by Beau Willimon, the series stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. ( Read more...Collapse )
Be warned: if you think it's complex now, just wait until all these characters start having families... There's a reason I'm colour-coding the three main groups: Vanyar (blue/white), Noldor (green), Lindar (grey)!
Note: I don't think Indis's relation to Ingwë is ever specifically detailed in canon, only that they were very close kin. She was possibly his niece instead.
Also, please feel free to ask me questions, ask for clarification, ask why I chose to depict something a particular way...